Friday 21 June 2013

How to Configure a Serial Cable Connection - ITNetCanada Lesson #2

In this lesson by ITNetCanada, we will be looking at how to configure a serial connection between 2 routers. This is quite a simple lesson but when I got into routers I had no idea what to do, all i did was connect the cables and expect them to work (I was 9).
To get started, here's what you'll need:
- 2 Routers
- Serial Cable

*For both routers to ping each other you will need to configure an IP address. I will be doing so in this example. Unlike the last lesson, I will not have steps. I will simply go through the configuration.

Here is my topology:

As you can see I have made a simple topology consisting of 2 routers connected with a serial cable. I've made IP addresses from the network 192.168.64.32 and I will assign them to the routers for connectivity.

*I assume there is a base configuration on both routers.

Here is the Configuration:

R1>enable
R1#configure terminal
R1(config)#interface serial 0/0    <---- Port
R1(config-if)#no shutdown
R1(config-if)#ip address 192.168.64.33 255.255.255.240
R1(config-if)#clock rate 64000   <-------- R1 has the "DCE" side of the cable attached. A clockrate must be set.

R1 is Set! Now R2.

R2>enable
R2#configure terminal
R2(config)#interface serial 0/0   <---- Port
R2(config-if)#no shutdown
R2(config-if)#ip address 192.168.64.34 255.255.255.240

*No clockrate must be set as R2 has the "DTE" side of the cable.

Now both routers are configured for a serial connection! Both are also ping-able because an ip address was set. Your routers are up and running.

2 comments:

  1. Greatly impressed by your work. This can help a lot of people. Keep it up man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, keep updated with my lessons!

      -Admin
      Nufael Nasir

      Delete